Monday, February 7, 2011

User Cannot Approve Task - Access Denied

I created a SharePoint Designer workflow that assigns an approval task to a user when a list item is created. I began receiving reports that users were receiving the task emails from SharePoint, but when they attempted to approve or reject the task they received "Access Denied" .

Further troubleshooting showed that they had access to the task library, and could see the tasks, but they could not open any of their tasks. I broke inheritance and gave the users "Full Control". This did not resolve the issue.

I found mentions on the webthat publishing the workflow files to the local file system resolved this issue. As crazy as it sounds, this resolved my issue. Here are the steps I took:

Open SharePoint Designer and browse to the workflow in question. Right click on the workflow and select "Publish Selected Files"


Select the radio button labeled "Local File System", and browse to any area on your local drive:



If you receive a dialog stating that no website exists and asking if you wish to create it, click yes. Allow the files to be copied to your local drive.

At this point, my users were once again able to approve their assigned tasks.

6 comments:

  1. Were you logged into the sharepoint server running SPD or was this a local machine on the same network?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reid:

    I was on the sever running SPD. I'm not sure you can do this from a local client machine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post solved my issue Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. After few weeks trying to find a logic solution, this worked!! SharePoint has it's funny way's I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone know if this will work locally on a machine or do you have to be on the server?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i do not see publish selected files when i right click on the workflow in sharepoint designer 2010. please suggest.

    ReplyDelete