Thursday, September 30, 2010

No Excel Calculation Services is available in the farm

In the course of building my new SharePoint 2010 farm, when attempting to view an Excel Spreadsheet in the browser, I received the error below:


Not exactly helpful.

I dug into the log files and found an error that stated "No Excel Calculation Services is available in the farm". The next step was to figure out where this service was located and why it was not available.

A bit of digging in Central Administration led to Central Administration > Services on Server. Once there it was obvious what the problem was. The Excel Calculation Service was stopped.



I started the service and attempted to open the original spreadsheet. This time, I got a different error message, indicating that the operation could not be completed, and asking me to wait a few minutes and try again.



While I waited, I recycled the application pool and restarted the browser. This time, my spreadsheet loaded as expected. Problem solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment